Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Idle Hands Are the Devil's Workshop



So, I have a lot of time on my hands right now - a lot. Which leads me to do things like start projects that I know I will never finish or spend hours on You Tube looking up Joan Jett videos (did you know there is a video of her taking skydiving lessons and jumping out of a plane? seriously - go check it out) Anyway, I am trying to restore an old Schwinn Fair Lady - it's the girlie version of the old Stingray. I love old those old bikes, there is something almost sexy about the shape of a Schwinn Stingray - they are just cool. Guitars are sexy as hell too. They don't even have to be strapped on to anyone, they are just inherently sexy. Which brings me to another project - restoring an old fake Les Paul guitar - I don't need to restore it, I have three perfectly good guitars, one of which in fact is brand new, and not a fake, so why AM I embarking on this project? I guess I just need something constructive to do with my hands - other than search for Joan Jett videos I mean.



I have also been trying to find some good new music - I can't stand the stuff on the radio - I mean I will sing along to a Justin Timberlake tune in the car just like everyone else, but come on - where is the substance? I want the three chord progression and the growling vibrations of a good punk or rock song. I need it. It's sexy - it doesn't need to bring sexy back cuz it never left - get it? I've been perusing the internet for good bands (and trying to convince myself that I am NOT obsessed with Joan Jett if I can look up other bands too!) and here's what I've come up with - I need to get out more. I think there are a lot of good local bands out there - but they need to be seen and heard in person - not on a myspace page. So far, I like The Pipettes htt://www.thepipettes.co.uk/ from the UK and a local LA band called The Randies http://myspace.com/therandies I also like The Vacancies, they don't have a girl in the band but there is a guitar - so I guess I can still post about them on my blog, http://thevacanciesmusic.com/

Alright, enough for now...



peace.

No comments: