Monday, August 6, 2007

Monday Morning Musings


It's Monday, I live in LA so it's hot, and I am currently "between jobs" so I'm home again. I get bored easily. I feel the need to do six things at once, all of which should probably get my full attention either for quality assurance or for safety reasons, but they never do. I'd like to be at the beach surfing, but it's a trek from my "eastside" hood and while I'm sure once I got a taste of that fine Southern California salt water I'd be good and happy (or sick, or glowing, or on antibiotics for a month) I just can't bring myself to venture out. So here I am - musing about my Monday and my lack of attention span. Lest you think that makes me fickle though - it does not. I am still in love with my dog Oliver, and still (quite to the dismay of those around me) obsessed with Joan Jett. It's hard to let go of her, a piece of my past that has washed up on the sandy shores of my adulthood (too Hallmarky?) Someone called me a fan. A fan? Wait a minute, could I really be a (cough cough) fan? I've seen three shows in 3 months, does that make me a fan? But they were all free - don't fans pay to see shows? I have her newest release, Sinner, does that make me a fan? But I downloaded it from itunes - I didn't rush out to Ameoba Records to get it. I have taken pictures of her at the the shows I have been to, does that make me a fan? But I just wanted to show my friends who couldn't make it what they missed - I didn't print them out and tape them to my bathroom mirror. I don't have a single autograph or photo taken with her. In fact I have never met her (i don't think - but there are some fuzzy memories of The Runaways playing Chuck Landis' Country Club back in the day that I'm flashing back to) I haven't caught a pick, or talked my way into a getting a setlist or waited around after a show for goodies. So, could I really be a fan? Nah, not really.... But then, just today a friend called me on their way to work to tell me they heard some Joan Jett gossip on the radio - called ME - sigh....Dammit, I guess that makes me a fan.So, I guess I'll come to terms with my foray into fandom, maybe I'll even start to like it. I've never really explored the world of the fan before, perhaps my horizons will open, my mind will expand, I'll have new respect for fans around the world, I'll, I'll, I'll --- embrace my inner fan.
So, let's put that behind us now shall we? I mean once it's admitted it need not rear its head again,right? Right. Let's move on. I tried in vain yesterday to find something to watch on TV - It was a toss up between a show where they take a hairdresser from one city and make them change places with another hairdresser from a different city and Design on a Dime. Since I didn't want to be reminded that I am unemployed and need to "design on a dime" these days, I chose the hairdresser show. Yikes. I can't even remember the name of the show but it was bad - a tatted, pierced "hip" boy hairdresser from one of the beach communities out here had to trade places with a woman who cuts hair in a retirement viliage in the midwest somewhere I think. I'm not sure who I felt more sorry for, probably the woman that had to come out here and deal with all the crap we californians think of ourselves. They made her do foils - she had never done foils - most of her clients do a standard shade of blue - all over. She messed up a few people's hair (I hope they were really extras and not real clients) and got reprimanded a lot. I felt for her. She was used to rolling old ladies hair and taking them grocery shopping after. The guy didn't fare much better - but I felt less sorry for him just cuz he was so full of himself to begin with. Needless to say I didn't opt to Tivo the next episiodes.

Here's some LA happenings to check out:

The Fuck Yeah Fest -- Some good bands playing http://www.fuckyeahfest.com/
Sunset Junction -- http://www.sunsetjunction.org/



-peace

No comments: